Mission, Vision and Aims
The mission of Fort Amherst Heritage Trust is to restore and protect Fort Amherst and develop it as a premier heritage and leisure attraction.
Develop and promote Fort Amherst as a sustainable centre of history and culture within the unique context of Medway’s military heritage.
Enable and Encourage Social Participation
- Involve all members of the community including those who are subject to social exclusion or the disadvantaged, with particular focus on young people; removing barriers for participation.
Restore and Maintain Fort Amherst
- Bring back into sustainable use the grounds and buildings in keeping with scheduled ancient monument status, being mindful of stakeholder and partner organisations' aims and objectives. Maintain public access for historical and leisure purposes.
Generate Resources by Raising Awareness of the Mission
- Ensure the long term stability and financial sustainability through income generation and by acquiring grants and third party support.
Achieve Organisational and Operational Excellence
- To achieve high levels of governance through well defined policies and procedures.
- Value and recognise the contribution made by our staff and volunteers.
Create a research and archive facility
- Make the Fort’s research and archive facility available all. Promote and encourage the research of Fort Amherst’s (and associated defence works) significant historical importance from both a military and social perspective.
Become a Leading Tourist Attraction
- Be recognised and acknowledged as a successful tourist attraction, gaining recognition for the services that are provided to members of the public.