Volunteers are an essential and invaluable part of the Fort Amherst Heritage Trust (FAHT).
We want people volunteering with us to do so within a positive and supportive environment.
• FAHT volunteers are seen as an essential, unique and invaluable part of Fort Amherst by complementing and supporting the work of the Trust, its appointed representatives and employees, not replacing them.
• FAHT volunteers are people who, of their own free will, contribute their time, energy and skills to benefit Fort Amherst.
• FAHT volunteering is unpaid and there is no payment or expectation of payment. This is readily distinguishable from reimbursement of expenses which ensures that volunteers are not out of pocket as a consequence of their volunteering.
This charter seeks to demonstrate that the FAHT recognises its obligations to its volunteers.
FAHT does not seek to establish any form of contract with individuals, as volunteering is binding in honour only. The relationship is not intended to be legally binding.
We (FAHT) commit to the following:
• To provide Volunteer Job Descriptions for all roles available.
• To assist volunteers in carrying out their roles by providing induction, training, information and support necessary to the role being undertaken.
• To provide adequate insurance cover for volunteers whilst undertaking duties approved and authorised by FAHT.
• To implement policies and procedures to ensure compliance with equal opportunities, health and safety and other legal requirements and to support best practice in volunteering.
• To endeavour to resolve any problems, grievances and difficulties which may be encountered while volunteering and provide an opportunity to discuss the issues in an appropriate manner.
• Make the volunteering experience enjoyable and fun!
Volunteers are required to:
• Observe the policies, procedures and rules of FAHT as they apply to the activity for which they volunteer.
• Be reliable in attendance.
• Fulfil duties as outlined in your Volunteer Role Description.
• Show diligence and a duty of care to other FAHT volunteers, employees, members and customers.
• Show respect for fellow FAHT volunteers, employees, and members.
• Respect all confidential information relating to the FAHT and its members
• Return immediately on request any document materials or other property which are held on behalf of FAHT and its members.
• Avoid any word or deed that will bring FAHT and its members into disrepute.
Volunteers have the right to:
• Stop volunteering if they wish.
• Have information about them handled and stored appropriately and sensitively.
• Be treated fairly in whatever volunteering they do.
• Not be discriminated against.
FAHT is committed to the principle of equality of opportunity and aims to ensure that all present and potential volunteers and employees are treated fairly and on an equal basis, irrespective of their gender, age, disability, ethnic origin, colour, religion or belief, social status or sexual orientation.